Born in Lucerne in 1963 (24.06), Aldo Gugolz first studied political sciences and communication in Zurich, while working as a photojournalist for several Swiss newspapers. Between 1986 and 1992 he attended the “Hochschule für Fernsehen und Film” of Munich. Since works as a filmmaker in Germany and Switzerland. Has directed several documentaries for television and cinema, among which "Zeit im Fluss" (1997), "Leben ausser Atem" (2001), "Wir Zwei" (2009) and "Rue de Blamage" (2017), a huge hit in German-speaking Swiss theaters.
Filmography - Directing
- 2020 - "Cows on the Roof" cinema documentary in cooperation with RSI and RoughCat, Lugano .
- 2018 - GRASSGREEN, commissioned film for addiction counselling Centre AKZENT, LUZERN.
- 2017 - "RUE DE BLAMAGE", 85/50 minutes, cinema documentary - nominated for the "Prix de Soleure" 2017, 18.000 cinema admissions in Switzerland, almost all in Lucerne! (SRF1 Prime Time in a TV version and 3sat in cinema length).
- 2016 - "REMO LARGO”, a life for our children", 50 minutes, TV film, SF DOK, 3sat and MDR (camera and co-direction with Monika Czernin).
- 2016 - "S'Jugi", 8 minutes, image film, commissioned by the catholic church, direction camera.
- 2012 - "Spaghetti, sex and videos", 50 minutes, SF 1 (prime time), ORF, 3sat and world distribution. Documentary about the (cult) background of the blackmailing of BMW main shareholder Susanne Klatten.
- 2011 - “Shower-Aquarium”, image documentary for Hornbach Baumärkte.
- 2010 - “Always happy to be busy for them”, 30 minutes, historical documentary film about the company Topf & Sons, which built the crematories for Auschwitz, "Place of Remembrance Topf & Sons", Erfurt. Directed.
- 2009 - “WE TWO”, 50 minutes, SF 1, prime time, 3sat Documentary film about the life of a disabled lovers. Direction and camera. Television Prize for Integration, Munich.
- 2003 - “On stage with 99”, documentary film about the actor Johannes Heesters, director's camera.
- 2001 - “Leben außer Atem”, 60 minutes, 2001, 3sat, BR, SF and DSF Film about the life of the paralysed Swiss. Activist Nina Dorizzi, Festivals: Solothurn, Dok Munich, Gaga-Festival-Berlin. Direction and editing.
- 2000 - “Hello ... or grüezi”, as we say in Switzerland, 52 minutes, 2000, SF1 and 3sat, documentary film about the Lucerne transport director Kurt H. Illi, who died in 2010. Directed.
- 1997 - “Zeit im Fluss”, 16mm, HFF Munich, 92 minutes, cinema - documentary film about the Elbe river in transition from east to west. Festivals: Munich, Nyon, Solothurn, Locarno.
- 1989 - "Why is everything so different here?”, 15 minutes, a spontaneous encounter with Berlin children in the open strip of the Wall, Filmszene Schweiz. Director's camera.
- 1989 - "Once, please!", essayistic feature film, 16mm colour, 15 minutes, 1989 HFF Munich. Direction and camera.
- 1988 - “Ödenwaldstetten II”, documentary, 16mm colour, 60 minutes, SWF 3, HFF Munich, director and camera.
- 1985 - “Insights, outlooks”, essay, 16mm bw, 10 minutes, 1985 HFF, Munich, director and camera.
- Several contributions for the TV magazines "Welt der Wunder", "Galileo", "10vor10", "Normal", "miteinander" and "ARD BRISANT" in the years 2000 to 2007.
- 2004 to 2014, lecturer for documentary film practice at the Winterthur vocational school
- 2012, 2013 and 2014 film seminars with apprentices of the Bundesbetriebe in Bern 2015, video course at the Berlin primary school FESB, Berlin
- 2018, directing course at the Filmschule Hamburg-Berlin
- 2012 Jury member at the film festival ImagéSanté in Belgium 2001 Jury member at the festival "Behindert!" in Munich.
- 2000 Editorial support for the 5-part series "Finanzwelten" in the FUTURE LAB series for the Bavarian Broadcasting Corporation.
- 2003, The Memory Machine, 16mm film installation, Munich. Scholarship at the Künstlerhaus Ahrenshoop, screenplay.
- 2006, Sudanese Eyes, photo installation with original sound, Munich.
- 2015/2016, Revolumenfilm Effects for theatre and ballet: 2015/16 Aalto Theater Essen, "Nutcracker"choreography Ben van Cauwenbergh.
Working as a cameraman
- 2017 - "RUE DE BLAMAGE" director's camera, SF Dok (50 minutes and cinema 85 minutes).
- 2016 - "REMO LARGO, a life for our children", for SRF DOK; director's camera; production: HesseGreutert Film, Zurich, SF and MDR.
- 2014 - "Die Puppenspieler", television report for ZDF about a team of artists from Beirut who play in Lebanon for Syrian refugee children, directed by Annette Streicher.
- "Die Hochhaussinfonie", cinema documentary about the last widows and a concert of the 'Pet Shop Boys' in Dresden's largest prefabricated high-rise building; 90 minutes, by Bettina Renner, premiere October 2007.
- "WIR ZWEI", camera and director, 56 minutes, SRF DOK in prime time, 3sat documentary film about the life of a disabled lovers.
- 2006/2007 - "Operation in a crisis area", 5-part documentary series 5x30 minutes on a UNHCR operation in Southern Sudan, arte, 3sat.
- 2005 - "Johannes Gutenberg and Letterpress" Milestones in Science and Technology, BR, BR alpha, ARD, HR, NDR.
- 2005 - "James Watt and the steam engine" Milestones in science and technology, BR, BR alpha, ARD, HR, NDR.
- 2005 - "Louis Braille and Braille", Milestones in Science and Technology, BR, BR alpha, ARD, HR, NDR.
- 2005 - "My World", Disney TV - Filmbüro Süd, portrait series of children living in opposing worlds, Stefan Eberlein.
- 2004 - "Die Solarfabrik", industrial film about the development and production of solar cells, Fraunhofer Institute in Freiburg.
- 2003 - "Le retour des images", documentary film about a shamanic search for traces in Senegal, 52 minutes, Mjco Zuber, (unfinished).
- 2003 - "The winegrowers", report on disabled people running a vineyard, DSF, 3sat.
- 2003 - "OLED" industrial film about the development of organic light emitting diodes, Fraunhofer Institute in Dresden.
- 2003 - "Johannes Kepler", Milestones in Science and Technology, BR, BR alpha, ARD, HR, NDR.
- 2002 - "The Stasi Puzzle", industrial film about the challenge of file recovery, Fraunhofer Institute Berlin.
- 2001 - "Mit Heinz Frei nach Sydney", report on the Swiss top athlete at the Paralympics in Australia, Bayerischer Rundfunk, 2001, SRG.
- 1999 - "Muckis on tour", the last journey of three young people suffering from muscular diseases, DSF.
- 1998 - “Tears you can't see", the disabled book publisher Rottman gives up, 3sat (from another perspective) by Bernd Thomas.
- “ZEIT IM FLUSS”, cinema documentary film about the Elbe in the upheaval of East and West, 93 minutes; 16mm.
- 1997 - "Annette", Integration of a blind pupil in the Bavarian regular school, 3 sat (series: from a different perspective) by Bernd Thomas.
- 1996 - "AUSZEIT", essay, 35mm, 12 min. 1994, by Rolf Sterzinger, rating "valuable".
- 1993 - "Childhood behind a wire", about two former children of Auschwitz, documentary film by Katja Dringenberg Betacam, 90 minutes.
- 1990 - "Die Berlau", feature film, 16mm b/w, 60 minutes, Erika Prahl.
Filmography in our catalogue