Dmitry Zavilgelsky was born in 1973 in Moscow.
In 1995 he graduated from Moscow State University named after M. V. Lomonosov, Faculty of Soil Science, in 1998 - Higher Courses for Scriptwriters and Directors, workshop for directing documentary films by Leonid Gurevich.
Since 1998 he has been working under contracts with TV channels and film companies. During this time, as an author and director, he made more than 30 documentaries for state television channels, the Ministry of Culture, private and federal film studios, and as an independent producer.
Laureate of international film festivals, national awards and festivals.
The area of Dmitry's creative interests is popular science films and films about scientists, in which Dmitry implements a new genre invented by him, in which there are author's documentaries and popular science films.
In 2007, he opened the Internet portal "Virtual Cinema of Documentary Cinema" with the aim of promoting domestic documentary authors and their works.
In 2011, he founded the FILMDOCRU documentary film club in the MART cafe.
Member of the Union of Cinematographers of the Russian Federation, the Guild of Directors of Russia, the Guild directors of non-fiction films and television.
- Journey to the center of the Earth|short documentary|2000
- Paul McCartney, 73 hours in Russia|documentary|2003
- The return of Alexander Sergeevich to Russia|short documentary|2011
- Chronicle of the Nubian Expedition|documentary|2021
- In search of rural utopias|documentary|2021
- Andrei Sakharov. On the other side of the window|documentary|2022